Saturday 23 June 2018

Well, I am glad that is over!

Yes, my fishing famine April and May have finally come to an end and I an making up for it now with at least one trip a week. I have spent too much time worrying about life and not really being very productive. In fact, I am sure it was that making me feel ill. It is a vicious circle that can spiral out of control if you let it. A visit to the doctor a couple of months ago opened a can of worms and gave me the kick up the backside I needed. Instead of festering worrying about every last ache and pain, I now know what is wrong, and I can put it right, well at least keep it under control.

An almost total lack of exercise was my main downfall, sitting here for hours on end, in front of this screen tapping away at the keys was keeping my brain alive but doing nothing for my physical health. Now, all that has changed, I back fishing, and it is great!

This little 'mouse' turned out to be a bank vole
It is not just about fishing, either. It is about being able to relax and take in nature around the peg. The little fellow was almost tame, coming to within a few feet of me sitting there watching him (or her?) It was not until I got home that the missus got the books out and we discovered that the little creature was, in fact, a bank vole and not a mouse as I had first thought. I think this is the first bank vole I have ever seen, you don't get many treading the streets of south-east London.

Today is Saturday, and after lunch, I have been getting some dropshotting gear ready for tomorrow when we are off to spend the day with my brother, his wife and my 91-year-old mum. The 'girls' can do their own thing, or they can come and spend the day at the bottom of the garden with us fishing. Yes, the other bloke in this blog has only moved into a flat that has private fishing rights at the bottom of the garden. It should be exciting, and if it is any good I think my brother might be seeing a bit more of me!

Where next?

After tomorrow, it will be back to choosing a venue for next week. I am happy fishing at Beaver. I know I have not tried that many other places but with eight lakes and ponds to choose from, there is just about every environment covered. In recent weeks I have float-fished in Maze lake, feeder fished on Jeff's Lake and this week I was two-rodding it on the shallow side of The Majors Lake with a sleeper out on the island margin and fishing the short pole/tele-pole close in. I could spend the day with a couple of carp rods out on Daughter's Lake. I have never fished it before, and it was netted and restocked this past winter with some very nice looking fish. I now have all the gear I need to fish for the bigger fish so it would be an experience. I will have to take something to read, as I understand it there is a lot of waiting around involved. Having never done it before, it has to be a consideration.

Then again, I could spend the day on Eden Pond. This picturesque small water at the far end of the fishery is home to some bigger roach and tench as well as a few carp to make it exciting. I have fished it before, but somewhat half-heartedly. Set in very natural surrounding, it could be a good way to get some variety on the float rod.

After that, there will still be three lakes I have never fished. I think I still have a lot to explore at Beaver. Since my local lake (that I have only fished a few times) has put the day ticket price up to the same as Beaver, and considering there is only one lake and a small pond, the lack of facilities, bait restrictions and the no swinging of fish rule, no matter how small, I am not sure I will be going back there in a hurry.

I will try some other venues, and now the rivers are open I will be exploring some more parts of the rivers in Kent. For now, though, it is going to be a case of better the devil I know. A Fishing trip a week keeps the doctor away, at least I hope so!

Ralph.