Monday 3 September 2018

Four years today!

This day, four years ago, (maybe not this early!) I scribed my first post of this blog. I had not even held a rod at that point, let alone handled a live fish. I was 58 years old and was looking for something to do jointly with my brother, who is the best part of ten years younger than me. At the time, we lived fifty miles apart and only saw each other at family get-togethers, weddings and funerals.
Me and the other bloke, ten years ago at a family do. We have both slimmed down a bit since then, and Tim still gets that excited every time he catches a fish. Now, I can't remember what we were doing that day... I should have written it down
As kids, the age difference was a problem, what eighteen year old has that much in common with an eight-year-old sibling. As we got older, and the age gap became less critical, but the physical distance became greater, and we were back to 'visits' or the odd emergency call-out - "...the wheel bearing nut won't come off", "...my power has gone off!" or even "Can you help me change the inner back wheel on the 7½ tonner?"

Fishing was seen as a way of getting together 'outside' the formal family setting. As you will have noticed, if you have been following the blog from the beginning, that dream did not go exactly as I had imagined. I ended up having the time and the interest to pursue the hobby in full while the other bloke was having a nightmare of a time trying to get his work-life balance on track. Although it is all sorted out now, he went through a couple of years of hell, where fishing was just not a priority.

Thankfully all that has changed now, and he has sorted his life out. He and his wife now live a fair bit closer to us, and he now has a river at the bottom of the garden. There have been several recent posts about Tim and his stretch river. In fact today, I am off to his place, along with Sue to do a spot of fishing, and a spot of jetty repair - another 'call-out', nothing changes!

I have no idea where that four years have gone, but what I do know is that every trip has been recorded in this blog, as well as any other fishing related stuff, like recipes, repairs, new tackle and techniques. I am so pleased I started this blog as I read parts of it from time to time and I realise just how much I would have forgotten if I had not recorded it here.

I am off to fill the van and head off to Tim's place. I will let you know how I get on!

Ralph.